Domaine Clos de la Chapelle
Attending Winemaker: Mark O'Connell
Domaine Clos de la Chapelle is a new name of a very old domaine. Originally founded by Victor Boillot in 1865 with his purchase of Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Chapelle (a monopole), the domaine added Volnay 1er Cru En Carelle and Pommard 1er Cru Les Chanlins over the course of the next half century. The reputation of the Clos de la Chapelle monopole vineyard dates back to the 19th century, with Louis Pasteur himself writing regularly to Victor Boillot requesting bottles of this exceptional wine. After nearly 150 years in the Boillot family, the domaine was purchased by Mark M. O’Connell, a life-long Burgundy lover, in cooperation with Domaine Champy, who farms the vineyards following organic and biodynamic practices. With the recent purchase of .25 hectares of Beaune Les Teurons 1er Cru, the Domaine now comprises about 1.5 hectares, all premier cru. The goal of the domaine is to make the best possible expression of terroir for each of the wines under its stewardship.
A selection of signature appellations:
Volnay 1er Cru Clos de la Chapelle monopole
Volnay 1er Cru En Carelle
Volnay 1er Cru Les Chanlins Très Vieilles Vignes
Beaune 1er Cru Les Teurons